It's hard to believe, but legendary comic Joan Rivers is gone. Following is a roundup of reactions from around the entertainment community.
RIP the mighty Joan Rivers. Funny & fearless. Truly one of a kind.
– Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais) September 4, 2014
we lost a great one in @Joan_Rivers – she was funny all the way to the end
– Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) September 4, 2014
Joan Rivers!!! Oh Noooo!!!
– Queen Latifah (@IAMQUEENLATIFAH) September 4, 2014
My friend Joan Rivers has passed away once again to quote Billy Crystal… There are no words. Bon Voyage Joan ????
– Whoopi Goldberg (@WhoopiGoldberg) September 4, 2014
My heart is broken. Joan Rivers RIP. Gone way too soon. All my thoughts & prayers are with Melissa & her family.
– Jesse Tyler Ferguson (@jessetyler) September 4, 2014
– Kathy Griffin (@kathygriffin) September 4, 2014
Heaven just got a whole lot funnier. #RIPJoan
– Andy Cohen (@Andy) September 4, 2014
My friend. RIPJoanRivers
– Margaret Cho (@margaretcho) September 4, 2014
Sending love to my pal, Joan Rivers.
– Joy Behar (@JoyVBehar) August 29, 2014
RIP Joan Rivers. A force of nature.
– Seth Meyers (@sethmeyers) September 4, 2014
RIP the inimitable Joan Rivers. One of the greats.
– Mark Duplass (@MarkDuplass) September 4, 2014
RIP #JoanRivers – a trail blazing force in comedy who never suffered fools & wasn't shy about speaking her mind. Condolences to loved ones
– Orlando Jones (@TheOrlandoJones) September 4, 2014
RIP Joan Rivers. People don't know what a pioneer she was. Check out her documentary. Beautiful and heart breaking. Be at peace, Joan.
– Nick Swardson (@NickSwardson) September 4, 2014
Joan Rivers has died, her daughter Melissa says. “My mother's greatest joy in life was to make people laugh.” pic.twitter.com/8SYbgumrDU
– Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) September 4, 2014
RIP Joan Rivers. She was so damn funny.
– Jordan Peele (@JordanPeele) September 4, 2014
I always liked Joan Rivers in a general way. But when I saw her do standup in a small club I was truly blown away. Force of nature. RIP.
– David Wain (@davidwain) September 4, 2014
RIP Joan Rivers.
– Kat Dennings (@OfficialKat) September 4, 2014
Joan Rivers will always be a pioneer. She paved the way for a lot of comedians. I”m very sad she”s gone. pic.twitter.com/i1uE9fyHMh
– Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) September 4, 2014
Joan Rivers was fucking awesome. RIP
– Adam Scott (@mradamscott) September 4, 2014
Goodbye, Joan. You deserved a louder death. #RIPJoanRivers
– Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) September 4, 2014
We will miss you @Joan_Rivers. What you did in your life was absolutely remarkable. Your rep for kindness to everyone was completely true
– Joel McHale (@joelmchale) September 4, 2014
– The Comedy Store (@TheComedyStore) September 4, 2014
RIP Joan. What a tough trailblazing lady. We've lost so much laughter this year.
– josh groban (@joshgroban) September 4, 2014
I think if twitter has taught us all one thing, it's that there's a little wannabe Joan Rivers in all of us.
– Duncan Jones (@ManMadeMoon) September 4, 2014
RIP Joan Rivers. You made us laugh and happy.
– Kristin Chenoweth (@KChenoweth) September 4, 2014
Rest in peace, Joan.
– Martha Plimpton (@MarthaPlimpton) September 4, 2014
– Sarah Silverman (@SarahKSilverman) September 4, 2014
My love to @MelRivers. A brave daughter.
– Maria Shriver (@mariashriver) September 4, 2014
Joan Rivers has died. What a sad ending to a brilliant and tragi-comic life; one of the bravest, and funniest of all.
– Bette Midler (@BetteMidler) September 4, 2014
RIP to the funniest, most hardworking lady in the biz. You will be missed @Joan_Rivers!
– Jenny McCarthy (@JennyMcCarthy) September 4, 2014
Did not want it to happen this way or this soon, but I am ready to step into Joan Rivers' shoes. Loved her.
– Michael Ian Black (@michaelianblack) September 4, 2014
– Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) September 4, 2014
I loved Joan Rivers. A trailblazing funny lady. Have fun up there. #RIPJoan
– Elizabeth Banks (@ElizabethBanks) September 4, 2014
Love Her or Hate Her, we're gonna Miss JOAN RIVERS! I always Respected her go for broke humor. One of a kind.R.I.P.
– Samuel L. Jackson (@SamuelLJackson) September 4, 2014
I told Maron I'd have a zinger when Joan died. But I didn't think she ever would. She felt eternal, and anyway, zingers are her territory.
– Lena Dunham (@lenadunham) September 4, 2014
– Kat Graham (@KatGraham) September 4, 2014
– Sarah Michelle (@RealSMG) September 4, 2014
JoanRivers- funny, in spite of being told she wasn't allowed to be. #Pioneer
– Anika Noni Rose (@AnikaNoniRose) September 4, 2014
Very sad to learn about Joan Rivers, a pioneer for women in comedy.
– ABFoundation (@ABFalecbaldwin) September 4, 2014
RIP Joan Rivers – we will miss the voice of reason and laughter on fashion's red carpet
– Nina Garcia (@ninagarcia) September 4, 2014
rip Joan Rivers :'( the MOST fabulous and hilarious. Frankie and I saw her live and met her multiple… http://t.co/2n9jlUvYNw
– Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) September 4, 2014
My fav joke in “A Piece if Work” looking at the wine's vintage and saying “May” Relevant and funny all the way to the end. Thank you Joan.
– Amy Schumer (@amyschumer) September 4, 2014
Joan Rivers once told me she would die before she'd ever apologize for a joke. I'm glad she made it.
– Anthony Jeselnik (@anthonyjeselnik) September 4, 2014
This was 4 weeks ago. She was a joy. I'll never forget her and will miss her terribly. RIP Joan Rivers. A legend. pic.twitter.com/v9vu9PALnd
– billy eichner (@billyeichner) September 4, 2014
RIP Joan Rivers. Being publicly told that my dress is hideous will never feel quite as awesome. You will be truly missed.
– Anna Kendrick (@AnnaKendrick47) September 4, 2014
@Joan_Rivers Godspeed my sweet. Thanks for all the laughs. Thanks for all the love. I miss you already.
– Jane Lynch (@janemarielynch) September 4, 2014
Joan Rivers was a huge presence in American comedy forever. She was one of a kind and will be a great loss to all who loved humor. R.I.P.
– Albert Brooks (@AlbertBrooks) September 4, 2014
The world will miss your incredible wit @Joan_Rivers. I sure loved getting to know you. Rest in Peace you hilarious soul.
– Brad Paisley (@BradPaisley) September 4, 2014
– Juliette Lewis (@JulietteLewis) September 4, 2014
Terrible news about Joan Rivers. I was lucky enough to meet her a few months ago. She was still as comedically relevant as anyone.
– Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) September 4, 2014