44 years ago today, “The Brady Bunch” welcomed a very exciting guest star. The Monkees” heartthrob Davy Jones appeared on the December 10, 1971 episode of the classic sitcom.
Jones played himself in the episode, which had Marcia Brady (president of the Fillmore Junior High Davy Jones Fan Club) trying to get Jones to sing at her prom. He grants her wish, and then some – he”s her prom date too!
Other notable December 10 happenings in pop culture history:
• 1966: The Beach Boys” single “Good Vibrations” hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
• 1967: Otis Redding died in a plane crash.
• 1969: “They Shoot Horses, Don”t They?” opened in theaters.
• 1976: Queen”s 7” single “Somebody to Love” was released in the U.S. On the same day, their album “A Day at the Races” was released in the U.K.
• 1992: The musical “My Favorite Year” opened on Broadway.
• 1998: The Amnesty International Concert for Human Rights Defenders took place at Bercy Stadium in Paris, France to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The lineup included Alanis Morissette, Radiohead, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Peter Gabriel, Tracy Chapman and Shania Twain.
• 2010: Bob Dylan's handwritten lyrics for his song “The Times They Are a-Changin”” sold at auction for $422,500.
Birthdays: “Hamlet” actor-director Kenneth Branagh (turns 55 today), celebrity chef Bobby Flay (51), “The Others” actress Fionnula Flanagan (74), “That”s So Raven” actress Raven-Symone (30), The White Stripes drummer Meg White (41)