Welcome to Outrage Watch, HitFix's semi-regular rundown of entertainment-related kerfuffles. Not anxious enough already? Get your fix of righteous indignation below, and stay posted for outrage updates throughout the week.
No, this is not a nightmare: Disney is making a new “Mary Poppins” movie musical, and Rob Marshall (“Chicago,” “Into the Woods”) is going to direct it. This is real life! Accept it and then (please) rage about it.
First, we should be clear about one thing: this is not a remake (not even Disney is shameless enough for that). Rather, the film will be a sequel set 20 years after the events of the original film and based on storylines from subsequent books in author P.L. Travers' beloved “Mary Poppins” book series.
Regardless, a lot of people are angry, with complaints ranging from director Rob Marshall's involvement to the idea that Travers would not have been happy, were she still alive, to see further adaptations of her books on screen. They're not wrong about that last one: as (not entirely accurately) depicted in the 2013 drama “Saving Mr. Banks” starring Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks, the author famously sparred with the studio over the 1965 film and was upset about the way she was treated during the process (though she later accepted a job to pen a potential big-screen sequel, the film never went into production).
Here's a sampling of the outrage from Twitter. Have a great Monday.
Sorry Disney … there's only one Practically Perfect Mary Poppins. Some things should be left alone. http://t.co/kHzz9B0eSi
– Park Journey (@Park_Journey) September 14, 2015
– Matthew John Daly (@matthewjohndaly) September 14, 2015
– Kristian Lovell (@KristianLovell) September 14, 2015
Disney is planning a sequel to Mary Poppins. Wow! Look at the cojones on these guys. And Rob Marshall Will be directing because of course.
– Shaun Kronenfeld (@bigred_13) September 14, 2015
What god do I have to pray to to get this Rob Marshall MARY POPPINS reboot to go away forever?
– John Shannon (@JohnWShannon) September 14, 2015
No no no you cannot remake Mary Poppins unless you can make Julie Andrews younger again YA CAN'T https://t.co/87YTiTLx7K
– Morgan (@morgan_brooke02) September 14, 2015
– Brunson (@M_Brunson) September 14, 2015
– Timothy Huneycutt (@Timotheous128) September 14, 2015
– GhostiLeaks The Book (@GhostiLeaks) September 14, 2015
Dear @Disney – a reboot of “Mary Poppins” directed by Rob Marshall is the WORST idea ever. Leave perfection alone!!
– Scott Nevins (@ScottNevins) September 14, 2015
– Deb (@FiveMeadows) September 14, 2015
SupercalifragilisticexpialiNAUSEUS NO bloody NO on the re-do, remake, followup of Disney Mary Poppins. UGh. Blooming hell. #MaryPoppins
– tweetspice (@Tweetspice) September 14, 2015
My thoughts on the Mary Poppins remake. pic.twitter.com/HF4q3eKh5M
– Tamsin (@titchtamsin) September 14, 2015
Regarding this Mary Poppins/Rob Marshall thing, I've already said my piece on the man, but once more, with feeling. https://t.co/vs6nrjrxGs
– Josh Spiegel (@mousterpiece) September 14, 2015