“In my world, you gotta get dirty. So that’s what I’m doin’ – I’m gettin’ dirty.”
That’s Jamie Foxx’s opening voiceover in the final theatrical trailer for Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained,” now less than a month out from its Dec. 25 release. And boy, if he ain’t speaking the truth.
Things get decidedly nasty in the brisk and brutal 85-second preview, in which I counted a total of 18 separate gunshots (that translates to one gunshot every 4.7 seconds). I’d say that’s good enough for an A+ grade, wouldn’t you?
In case you were wondering, Rick Ross’ “100 Black Coffins” is the song playing over the trailer’s final trigger-happy montage. It’s a track Ross and Foxx (who produced) collaborated on exclusively for the film – a first for Tarantino, who has never before commissioned original music from an artist for use in one of his movies.
“I want to thank all the artists who contributed original songs (a first for me) to the picture,” said Tarantino in a statement announcing the soundtrack. “Most of these contributions came out of the artists’ own inspiration and their illustration of the film’s soul is invaluable. …In addition to the new original songs I am also using a lot of older recordings on the soundtrack – many of which came from my personal vinyl collection. Instead of having the record companies give me new digitally cleaned up versions of these recordings from the 60’s and 70’s, I wanted to use the vinyl I’ve been listening to for years – complete with all the pops and cracks. I even kept the sound of the needle being put down on the record. Basically because I wanted people’s experience to be the same as mine when they hear this soundtrack for the first time.”
After watching the new trailer (which you can also rate at top left), be sure and check out the full tracklisting below.
Official “Django Unchained” tracklist:
2. DJANGO (MAIN THEME) – LUIS BACALOV, ROCKY ROBERTS
3. THE BRAYING MULE – ENNIO MORRICONE
4. IN THAT CASE, DJANGO, AFTER YOU…
5. LO CHIAMAVANO KING (HIS NAME IS KING) – LUIS BACALOV, EDDA DELL’ORSO
6. FREEDOM – ANTHONY HAMILTON & ELAYNA BOYNTON
7. FIVE-THOUSAND-DOLLAR NIGGA’S AND GUMMY MOUTH BITCHES
8. LA CORSA (2ND VERSION) – LUIS BACALOV
9. SNEAKY SCHULTZ AND THE DEMISE OF SHARP
10. I GOT A NAME – JIM CROCE
11. I GIORNI DELL’IRA – RIZ ORTOLANI
12. 100 BLACK COFFINS – RICK ROSS
13. NICARAGUA – JERRY GOLDSMITH FEATURING PAT METHENY
14. HILDI’S HOT BOX
15. SISTER SARA’S THEME – ENNIO MORRICONE
16. ANCORA QUI – ENNIO MORRICONE AND ELISA
17. UNCHAINED (THE PAYBACK/UNTOUCHABLE) – JAMES BROWN AND 2PAC
18. WHO DID THAT TO YOU? – JOHN LEGEND
19. TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG – BROTHER DEGE
20. STEPHEN THE POKER PLAYER
21. UN MONUMENTO – ENNIO MORRICONE
22. SIX SHOTS TWO GUNS
23. TRINITY (TITOLI) – ANNIBALE E I CANTORI MODERNI