Before Jim Gaffigan was selling out theaters with his uniquely original observations on cake and whales, he was playing that guy on that sitcom that only lasted two seasons. Before that he was playing some sort of sexual deviant/murderer on Law & Order — ALL of them. Before that he was wearing a pink bunny suit in commercials for Energizer batteries. What I’m trying to get at is that Jim Gaffigan has paid his showbiz dues several times over.
To celebrate the great Mr. Gaffigan’s 48th birthday, I’ve lined up this timeline of his many, many acting roles over the years. For a more enjoyable experience, I’d suggest heating up your favorite Hot Pocket — at lava temperature of course — to snack on while viewing. We’ll kick things off with a look at Jim Gaffigan’s earlier commercial work from the 90s.
1. Energizer Battery commercials
Probably one of my favorite Jim Gaffigan commercials, a man aspiring to be a battery-operated robot rabbit is far funnier than the commercials its parodying.
2. Mega Bucks commercial
Jim’s got farm stuff to do like build fences and sell syrup. He can’t be bothered by a silly lottery company.
3. Rolling Rock
The message I took away from this commercial, is that if you drink enough Rolling Rock, you’ll start to think that tiny horse is winking at you.
4. Kodak Advantix Camera
Back in the dark ages when we had to wait up to one hour to see what our selfie looked like.
Jim’s on to something here, that MacGyver probably would be a good anchor.
If you’re going to watch one commercial blooper reel today, make it Jim Gaffigan’s. Jim ad-libbing about the stuffed pelican filled with urine and stealing cars is almost enough to make me want to buy a Saturn. Almost.
And now the first of Jim Gaffigan’s numerous appearances on the Law & Order franchise.
7. Law & Order, George Rozakis, Larry Johnson — 1998, 2009
8. Three Kings, solider — 1999
Look for him at the .40 second mark asking for some gum.
9. Cry Baby Lane, Dan — 2000
10. Welcome to New York, Jim Gaffigan — 2000-2001
11. Law & Order: SVU, Oliver Tunney — 2001
12. Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Russell Matthews, Marty Palin — 2002, 2007
“Dead” and “Smile”
13. The Ellen Show, Rusty Carnouk — 2001-2002
14. No Sleep’Til Madison, Owen — 2002
15. That 70’s Show, Roy Keene — 2003-2004
16. Ed, Tobby Gibbons — 2003-2004
17. My Boys, Andy Franklin — 2006-2009
18. The Love Guru, Trent Lueders — 2008
19. Flight of the Conchords, Jim — 2009
“Murray Takes It to the Next Level”
20. It’s Kind of a Funny Story , George — 2010
21. Bored to Death, Drug Counselor — 2010
“Super Ray Is Mortal!”
22. Royal Pains, Pete Stanbleck — 2011
Not that I think you forgot about his most iconic role, but I’d be remiss not to include such a fine piece of cinema.