Zane Lamprey is an actor/writer/comedian/TV host perhaps best known for hosting “Drinking Made Easy,” an imbibing travelogue that features him touring across the U.S. learning about some of America’s greatest drinks, drinkers, and watering holes. The show airs Wednesday nights on the AXS TV (a newish branch of Mark Cuban’s HDNet). Additionally, Lamprey has a book out titled, “Three Sheets: 6 Continents, 15 Countries, 190 Drinks and 1 Mean Hangover” along with a line of drinking games.
Zane was nice enough to take a few minutes out of his busy schedule recently and answer a few of our questions.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
The cocktail list. I’ll scan the taps and ask for a beer I’ve never heard of– or something local. Then I’ll check out their cocktail list and order something unique. Even though drinks are my job, I still geek out about them and am always interested in trying something new.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter?
Man… Twitter is like a job. I go on there to respond to tweets directed at me, but I don’t really pay attention to what other people are talking about, even if I’m following them.
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR/TiVO?
“Homeland.” But it’s waiting for “Game of Thrones” to jump back in there. Oh, and “House Hunters International”… A guilty pleasure.
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
Something that has me make a mess on my executioner. Cabbage and beans?
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
On a regular basis, it would have to be my own (DrinkingMadeEasy.com, ZaneLamprey.com). I’m very hands on with my site, my on-line store and my social media. That’s the real work that I do. The traveling and drinking is fun.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your iPod?
I work out to hip-hip, and I cannot work out without it. I like Ludacris, Kid Cuddy, BEP…
7. The first face that comes to mind when you think “punchable”?
Wow, it was Steve McKenna. And he’s supposed to be my best friend. What does that say?
8. What’s your favorite meme?
I like someecards. They crack me up.
9. Dogs or cats?
I love dogs, but traveling would be difficult if I owned one. My wife has a cat. He licks my feet…
10. Best concert of your life was…?
The best concert of my life was my own… I moved out to LA in 1996. I drove by the House of Blues on Sunset hundreds of times. Getting to headline there, in front of my friends and fans was definitely a bucket list experience.
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
Well, mine. I have a shelf full of them. So, before I gave someone a copy of “The Art of Happiness”, I’d give them my book: “Three Sheets: Drinking Made Easy”.
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
It’s the things my mom and wife do for me on a consistent basis. I’ve had people in “Hollywood” do nice things for me, but they’re always self-serving in some way. It was very nice to have gotten the chance to star in Three Sheets, Have Fork Will Travel and Drinking Made Easy– but no one was trying to do me a favor. They were trying to make the best decision for themselves. But, on a chilly night last week, my wife put a hot water bottle under the covers, so when I came to bed, it was warm and cozy. That was pretty Damn nice!
13. South Park or Family Guy?
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
Something with friends. I don’t see my friends enough.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
Die Hard, Star Wars, Indiana Jones…
16. Android or iPhone?
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
I was shooting an episode of “Three Sheets” in Kyoto. We took an overnight trip to the town of Ono where we were going to shoot at Hanagaki Sake the next morning. But, as tradition would have it, I had to meet the owner first. So, we met at a local sushi restaurant. It was amazing. The bill was over $1000. Not that the price is an indication of the quality of the meal, but it gives you an idea of the level of service and, well, quality of the meal. It was a great meal and a great experience.
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
Farrah Fawcett. What a babe.
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage was coming to your house for dinner?
Last time Nic came over, we shot gunned a beer and hit the town. So… beer.