MTV’s ’90s classic Daria may not have gotten that rumored revival — we’d settle for the live-action movie starring Aubrey Plaza — but old episodes are still played on TV twenty years after the show’s premiere in 1997. Entertainment Weekly caught up with show co-creator Susie Lewis and character designer Karen Disher to ask them where they think the characters are now, twenty years after the Beavis And Butthead spin-off’s first episode. Disher even drew some of the characters’ current look:
Lewis and Disher also told EW what they think seven of the characters would be doing now. Here’s a summary:
- Daria Morgendorffer — Lives in New York City’s Hell’s Kitchen (and probably has plenty of sardonic comments about the neighborhood’s name) and works for a late-night talk show as the only female writer on staff. She lives alone with a toilet-trained black cat named Godzilla.
- Jane Lane — She’s a working artist (not a famous one) who lives with her archaeologist husband in SoHo. She’s still friends with Daria and they go to social events where they only talk to each other. (Some things don’t change.)
- Trent Lane — Works as a bartender and has a bit of success with his current band, Trent Lane and the Mystikal Explosion. He also had a one-hit wonder (“Freakin’ Friends”) with his previous band, Mystik Spiral.
- Jake and Helen Morgendorffer — Daria and Quinn’s parents are now retired but active.
- Quinn Morgendorffer — She’s “consciously uncoupled” from her husband (whose athletic career floundered) and is raising their triplets — Timmy, Tommy, and Teddy — back in her hometown. She also runs a YouTube channel about desserts and skin care called “S’mores and Pores”.
- Brittany and Kevin Thompson — The popular high-school cheerleader and quarterback got married and stayed married. Brittany is a TV weathergirl and part-time cheerleading coach in their hometown, and Kevin is “a stay-at-home dad who dabbles in children’s birthday-party entertainment.” Brittany wears her old cheerleading outfit every Halloween.
Nothing particularly shocking about all that, except perhaps that Brittany is probably earning a bigger paycheck than everyone else here combined. What a sick sad world.
(Via Entertainment Weekly)