The terrible news that music legend Prince had died today at age 57 broke through the internet like a lightning bolt. On social media, many stars fired off their responses in real time as they heard the news. Here's some of the reactions:
The throne stays empty now pic.twitter.com/Nn8RrCJK6c
– Liz Phair (@PhizLair) April 21, 2016
It was Raspberry Beret. I was 4 years old. Yes, 4. I remember that I instantly loved it. “Mommy, who is that singing?” Seems weird but it's true. More than a “once in a lifetime” artist… Just a ONCE IN FOREVER ARTIST. I'm still in shock as I write this and I feel this overwhelming grief. But, we should all turn away from that and HONOR this musician that changed all of our lives, our perspectives, our feeling, our whole being. From another planet? Probably. Royalty, for sure. Us worthy..? Laughable. They say don't meet your idols… That they let you down. But, some of my greatest, funniest(yes, he was hilarious), and most prolific encounters and conversations about music came from the moments that I spent with him. It would be silly to say that he has inspired our music… It's beyond that. He's somewhere within every song I've ever written. I am sad, but I will smile when I think of every second that I had the fortune of being in his company. We have lost our greatest living musician. But his music will never die. Prince, NOTHING COMPARES… #RIPPrince
Prince was a true gentleman, a king among men. He was as sharp and as talented as they come. I'm so glad I was lucky enough to work with him
– zooey deschanel (@ZooeyDeschanel) April 21, 2016
I wish I could have expressed my love for him before he left. https://t.co/drlyFNWF9X
– James Franco (@JamesFrancoTV) April 21, 2016
Absolutely no words. Cannot comprehend this. This is beyond a loss. #RIPPrince
– Paul Feig (@paulfeig) April 21, 2016
The word genius is overused. Prince, however, was a super-genius. Prolific and visionary. And always a sweetheart. Soundtrack of my life.
– Rob Lowe (@RobLowe) April 21, 2016
Broken heart .. So many millions of broken hearts…seems impossible ???????????????????????? https://t.co/yLST09DuWR
– Kirstie Alley (@kirstiealley) April 21, 2016
– Chaka Khan (@ChakaKhan) April 21, 2016
RIP to @prince…a true artist in every sense of the word. Gone way too soon.
– Quincy Jones (@QuincyDJones) April 21, 2016
– Montel Williams (@Montel_Williams) April 21, 2016
My heart is broken. My entire adolescence was filled w his music. He'll be missed but his music will live forever???????? https://t.co/O6FYLftlWw
– Eva Longoria (@EvaLongoria) April 21, 2016
i'm absolutely heartbroken that Prince is gone. COMPLETELY devastated…i can't process this….
– Belinda Carlisle (@belindaofficial) April 21, 2016
peace and love pic.twitter.com/X7azBtLh4o
– Susanna Hoffs (@SusannaHoffs) April 21, 2016
– CedricTheEntertainer (@CedEntertainer) April 21, 2016
– Debra Messing (@DebraMessing) April 21, 2016
– Richard Lewis (@TheRichardLewis) April 21, 2016
Numb. Stunned. This can't be real.
– Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake) April 21, 2016
Omg….. RIP Prince…. ????????????
– Demi Lovato (@ddlovato) April 21, 2016
I'm Crushed!! UK news reporting Prince Is Dead?! For Real?! Massive Loss for us all! What a Genius! Speechless.
– Samuel L. Jackson (@SamuelLJackson) April 21, 2016
– Nick Cannon (@NickCannon) April 21, 2016
Prince? Say it isn't so…
– Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) April 21, 2016
This year is just awful.
– Michael McKean (@MJMcKean) April 21, 2016
We just lost a ton of heavy groove. #RIPPrince
– Eric Stonestreet (@ericstonestreet) April 21, 2016
Can”t even process this. There will never be another. Thank you for everything, Prince Rogers Nelson.
– Elijah Wood (@elijahwood) April 21, 2016
His Purple Badness. LOVE. https://t.co/Ywjd0WUIi7
– Spike Lee (@SpikeLee) April 21, 2016
Damn it. #RIPPrince
– Jon Cryer (@MrJonCryer) April 21, 2016
This better not be true…
– shonda rhimes (@shondarhimes) April 21, 2016
Say it isn't so. pic.twitter.com/xdY0bYDtSO
– Chris Rock (@chrisrock) April 21, 2016
Oh my God. FUCK
– Michaela Watkins (@michaelaWat) April 21, 2016
Just heard about Prince ….can't believe it ……. – KU
– Keith Urban (@KeithUrban) April 21, 2016
REST IN POWER #RIPPrince
– Margaret Cho (@margaretcho) April 21, 2016
– Melissa Joan Hart (@MelissaJoanHart) April 21, 2016