Cable News Hosts Show How Not To Treat Survivors Of Sexual Assault

From our partner
BY: Naomi LaChance 10.15.16

comedy central

The Donald Trump campaign said that the women who accused Trump of sexual assault are motivated by politics, and TV talk show hosts are running with it.

“I’m skeptical about the timing of all of this dropping,” MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough said Thursday morning.

He continued: “If I had been sexually harassed by this man — the Megyn Kelly story would have given me an opportunity, there have been a thousand of the reports already.”

On Wednesday, the New York Times published a story in which two women said Trump groped them. The Trump campaign called the story libelous and threatened to sue.

“Another ridiculous tale — no witnesses, no nothing,” Trump said at a campaign rally Thursday. His campaign accused the women of using sexual assault claims for political gain, something he himself did Sunday at the presidential debate when he featured Bill Clinton’s accusers front and center.

Along with those in the Times story, nine other women came forward with accusations against Donald Trump Wednesday. People magazine writer Natasha Stoynoff said Trump violated her at Mar-a-Lago in 2005; Mindy McGillivray said Trump groped her at Mar-a-Lago in 2003; former Miss Vermont Teen USA Mariah Billado and four other beauty pageant contestants said Trump walked into their dressing room unannounced in 1997.

“I’m just asking why suddenly all of this stuff is blowing up in October,” Scarborough said. He was not the only talk show host to raise questions.

Fox News’ Howard Kurtz joined in on the skepticism.

Fox Business host Lou Dobbs tweeted the address and phone number of one of the accusers, though he later apologized.