A few days ago, while listening to the radio in my car (#humblebrag), I heard a sweetly pleasant (until the moment it gets DARK) bluegrass song “Pretty Little One.” Much to my surprise, I’d later learn the song was performed by that wild and crazy guy, Steve Martin, and Edie Brickell. Martin has been steadily playing the banjo circuit for a few years now, but this was the first time I had ever sat down and actually listened to one of his songs, and even then it took me being stranded in my car without my iPod.
But it’s really good. So is the rest of the album it appears on, Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers featuring Edie Brickell Live (can’t believe no one has used that title before…). Still, no matter how talented Martin, who turned 69 today, is as a legitimate musician — and he is — he’ll always be the guy who sang a song about a thermos while soaking in a bathtub. Let’s take a look at some of his finest TV show and movie musical moments.
1. “My Little Buttercup” from Three AmigosSubscribe to UPROXX
2. “The Thermos Song” from The Jerk
3. “Dueling Banjos” from The Muppet Show
4. “I’m a Dentist” from Little Shop of Horrors
5. “Mr. Sandman” from Late Show with David Letterman
6. “Billie Jean” from The New Show
7. “King Tut”