Byron Mann is an actor probably best known for his roles in The Man with the Iron Fists and Street Fighter. Currently, he stars on AMC’s Hell on Wheels, the next episode of which (a mid-season finale) airs Saturday, August 29. You may have also seen the native of China on Arrow, and you can see him soon in the Adam McKay-directed The Big Short alongside Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling and Steve Carell.
Byron was nice enough to take a few minutes out of his busy schedule recently to answer a few questions from us.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
Cranberry juice on ice.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter and/or Instagram?
Conan O’Brien (@conanobrien). His tweets are very funny.
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR/TiVO?
I don’t have one. But if I did, it’d be Hell on Wheels, of course.
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
Homemade Cantonese food.
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
SI for sports. Deadline for entertainment news. Bloomberg for world news.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your mobile device?
I don’t have any songs on my mobile device.
7. The first face that comes to mind when you think “punchable?”
Anyone associated with terrorism.
8. What’s the last thing you googled?
Auto repair shop in Calgary. My car broke down yesterday.
9. Dogs or cats?
Definitely dogs. The cuter, the better.
10. Best concert of your life was…?
Alan Tam. He’s a mega Canto-pop singer in Hong Kong. Going to his concerts when I was growing up in Hong Kong was like going to see The Beatles.
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
Some guy paid for my lunch yesterday because he recognized me and because he saw online that yesterday (August 13) was my birthday. Well, it wasn’t. The date that is online is wrong. I have no idea how it got there. I told the guy — whom I’ve never met — but he still paid for my lunch anyway.
13. South Park or Family Guy?
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
I’d try to do something that would make someone else’s day. But it has to be spot-on.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
When Harry Met Sally. Magic.
16. The sports team or teams you’re most passionate about?
UCLA Football Team. Go Bruins!
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
In Hong Kong. A producer friend invited me to a dinner at an Italian restaurant. He was on a diet, but that was his “piggy” day. He could eat whatever he wanted one day of the week, and he would invite his friends to join him. There were 20 courses: Meat flown in the night before from some farm in Northern Italy, fresh fish from Hokkaido, Japan the day of, and every meal was paired with a different wine. The food was so rich and delicious, I was full by course nine. I have to be honest, I actually felt bad as the evening went on. I thought about all the people dying of starvation, and here we were, just throwing these delicacies away because we were all so full.
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage was coming to your house for dinner?
Chinese stir-fried vegetables. It’s the only thing I know how to cook.
PREVIOUSLY: Justice Smith