Saturday’s live action films panel from Disney, Marvel, and Lucasfilm at the D23 expo wrapped up with a presentation from Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios, which is celebrating its first ten years. Josh Brolin — Thanos himself — came onstage to talk about Avengers: Infinity War.
He was soon joined on the stage by Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen, who just came overnight after wrapping the halfway point on Infinity War. They in turn were joined by Guardians of the Galaxy Elizabeth Debicki, Karen Gillan, and Dave Bautista, and then more Avengers in Don Cheadle, Sebastian Stan, and Anthony Mackie. And no batch of heroes would be complete without Benedict Cumberbatch, so he came out as well.
Spider-Man and Black Panther were also in the house, as Tom Holland and Chadwick Boseman came out, in addition to Mark Ruffalo and Chris Hemsworth, as Brolin continued to scoff at the combined might of the heroes around him. Robert Downey, Jr. was the last to the stage, and the convention hall finally managed to lose its mind. Downey introduced co-director Joe Russo, the Russo Brother who was able to make it to Anaheim this weekend. Russo introduced a look back at Marvel Studios’ decade of the MCU.
That recap of the MCU bled directly into the first teaser for Infinity War, which was what you’d consider epic in every sense of the word.
Things look grim for pretty much every hero we’ve seen in Marvel’s film up to this point. The Guardians meet up with Thor after he smacks into their windshield. He then comes on board and meets the gang before we treated to a montage of scenes from the film. In no order, here are some of the sights you can expect:
* Loki has his grips on the Tesseract and is handing it over to Thanos.
* We get a load of Spider-Man and his spider-sense as he rides along on the bus. Feige said we can expect Holland’s Spidey to be in the film an equal amount to his appearance in Civil War.
* Tony Stark follows his comic book counterpart’s lead and is out teaming with The Guardians in space. No word on if his space armor will make an appearance, but considering this film is bigger than any Marvel film before it, we might get at least two Iron Man armor changes.
* Gamora is terrified of something while sitting in the ruined quarters of the Collector.
* Spider-Man has his spiffy new costume from Homecoming, meaning he might have changed his decision from the end of that film.
* Captain America with long hair and a beard, like Jeremiah Johnson. Catching a spear from Black Panther and emerging from the shadows.
Then we’re hit with the main course: Thanos. He lets out a chilling quote saying, “Fun really isn’t something one considers when balancing the universe…This does put a smile on my face.’ We’re then tossed into some shots of everything decimated and destroyed. Black Widow is now blonde, fighting alongside the others. I wouldn’t hold out hope she does too well because that’s followed by Iron Man and Starlord both being pummeled before Thanos grabs Thor’s head and starts squeezing. Things don’t look for anybody you see on screen and Thanos doesn’t even have all of the Infinity Gems at this point it seems. He only wields the Tesseract and the mind stone, meaning we likely won’t be seeing much of Vision in the first half of Infinity War.
And the cherry on top, just to drive home how grand in scope this will be, is when Thanos grabs a moon out of its orbit and uses it to attack the Avengers. The trailer cannot come fast enough at this point.
Avengers: Infinity War comes out in May 2018.