One decade ago today, we first learned the story of American hero Ricky Bobby.
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby opened in theaters 10 years ago today.
Audiences came out in droves that weekend for the comedy starring Will Ferrell as a winning-obsessed NASCAR driver. Behind The Lego Movie, Talladega Nights remains Ferrell”s second largest movie opening.
The movie reunited Ferrell with his Anchorman director Adam McKay. The two of them, along with John C. Reilly (who plays Ricky Bobby“s teammate Cal Naughton Jr. in Talladega Nights) would soon team up again for Step Brothers.
Other notable August 4 happenings in pop culture history:
• 1942: Bing Crosby-Fred Astaire film Holiday Inn premiered in New York. Crosby song “White Christmas” is featured in the movie musical.
• 1957: The Everly Brothers made their second appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. They introduced their upcoming single, “Wake Up Little Susie” and the song “Bye Bye Love.”
• 1966: The Temptations” single “Beauty Is Only Skin Deep” hit record stores.
• 1972: Michael Jackson”s second solo album, Ben, was released.
• 1989: The final episode of Highway to Heaven aired on NBC.
• 1990: The series finale of Linda Hamilton-Ron Perlman show Beauty and the Beast aired on CBS.
• 1995: Babe opened in theaters.
• 2000: Piper Perabo-Tyra Banks movie Coyote Ugly opened in theaters.
• 2005: Apple launched its iTunes Music Store in Japan, with 1 million songs available.