The Men’s Rights Movement Has Responded To Last Night’s ‘Parks And Rec’

02.11.15 2 years ago 81 Comments
mens rights is nothing

NBC

On last night’s Parks and Recreation, Leslie Knope succinctly declared that “men’s rights is nothing” before adding, “If you want to bake a pie, that’s great. If you want to have a career, that’s great, too. Do both or neither, doesn’t matter. Just don’t judge what someone else has decided to do. We’re all just trying to find the right path for us as individuals on this Earth.” Chris Gethard was the face of the fictional Male Men, but Leslie might as well have been speaking directly to Reddit’s Men’s Rights forum, which has already weighed in on “Pie-Mary.”

Did they quote Gandhi? Of course they quoted Gandhi.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
–Mahatma Gandhi

We’re somewhere between laughing and fighting.

Perfect.

Damn. I liked Parks and Rec. Oh well, Walking Dead can fill that void.

Actually that’s a sign of progress, I think. When you get attacked on mainstream shows, you’re going mainstream. I bet this happened to feminists in the 50s and 60s.

“Can we have ONE conversation about feminism where men get to be in charge?” -MRA dude
“You’re ridiculous and men’s rights is nothing.” -Leslie Knope to protesting MRAs

FYI, asking for justice for raped boys is not ridiculous and fighting for their rights to equal access to services for rape victims is not nothing.

I think it’s good that they were mocking the ideology. Now we know what the world thinks the average MRA is like, and now we have the opportunity to show them otherwise.

I think the lack of vitriol over “satire” of the [Men’s Human Rights Movement] in things like this episode and on the SNL skit speaks volumes about your movement. While radical feminists get their panties in a twist over every single piece of media that doesn’t constantly propound their ideals, the response from you guys when openly ridiculed is more or less “whey, at least we’re getting some attention.”

The fact that they have to resort to weird strawmen, who try and shut down family planning centres and protest pie eating contests is also indicative of the fact any objections they may have are not based in reality.

Unlike Ben and Leslie’s 50/50 split, I’d say 98 percent of people support Emma Fletcher and Rachna Fruchbom’s script, while the other 2 percent are pointing out, actually, it’s about ethics in men’s rights journalism. At least we can all agree that this Hulk Hogan sign is the best.

voJgJp2

NBC

H/T Adam, via Reddit

Around The Web