Culture

Someone Intentionally Tried To Gas A Furry Convention Outside Of Chicago

Say what you will about the Furry culture, they don’t deserve to be gassed in their hotels. Someone decided to unleash chlorine gas inside of the Hyatt Hotel in Rosemont, Illinois, sending 19 of the patrons from the Midwest FurFest convention to the hospital. From The Chicago Tribune:

First responders were called to investigate a noxious odor that was spreading across the ninth floor of the hotel, where a high level of chlorine gas was discovered in the air, the statement said.

Nineteen people were transported to nearby hospitals after complaining of nausea, dizziness and other medical problems, according to the statement.

All people inside the building were temporarily evacuated and sheltered at nearby facilities, including the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center.

Chlorine gas is not something to fool around with, especially not inside of a hotel while you’re sleeping. Police are treating the incident as a criminal matter and no one was seriously hurt. It also didn’t dissuade anyone from leaving the FurFest early judging from this excerpt:

Technicians decontaminated the area and after conducting several tests deemed the area safe within about two hours. People were allowed back into the building around 3:30 a.m.

Some convention goers, some of whom were dressed up as animal characters, stood outside of the building. Hundreds more were escaping the chilly weather inside several large buildings next to the hotel. (via)

Given what happened, I’ll hold back my laughter at the thought of a bunch of people in animal costumes hanging out outside of a hotel. They’re allowed to do what they’d like if it doesn’t hurt anyone, mentally or physically. I just wish they’d knock it off with all the hugging.

(Via The Chicago Tribune)

×