The D-League season tipped off last weekend, so for those of you who are interested in that type of thing (like me), here’s a look at some notables playing in the minors, and some guys in the NBA who will probably be logging D-League clock at some point this year:
Albuquerque Thunderbirds (Suns, 76ers)
* Darvin Ham — Best known for breaking a backboard at Texas Tech and getting robbed in the ’97 dunk contest.
* Daniel Horton — Former Michigan star and Miami Heat camper.
* Sam Worthen (asst. coach) — NYC playground legend “Sudden Sam” could probably still get buckets in the D-League.
* Look out for … Alando Tucker, D.J. Strawberry.
Anaheim Arsenal (Clippers, Hawks, Magic)
* Kedrick Brown — Picked ahead of Richard Jefferson, Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Jamaal Tinsley, Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas and Mehmet Okur in the ’01 Draft. Celtics fans still remember.
* Guillermo Diaz — Ex-Miami star is one of those guys who puts up 25 a game in the minors but never gets a call-up.
* Lodrick Stewart — Nate Robinson’s high school teammate is one of those insane athletes who isn’t so good at playing basketball.
* Reggie Geary (coach) — One of my favorite college players ever, a lock-down defender at Arizona in the early-1990s.
* Look out for … Paul Davis, Mario West, Solomon Jones.
Austin Toros (Spurs)
* Majic Dorsey — You might remember him from the AND 1 “Streetball” show whenever they’d go down to Florida.
* Keith Langford — Solid player on some really good Kansas teams.
* Kevin Pittsnogle — He was Nick Fazekas before Nick Fazekas.
* Quin Snyder (coach) — Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
* Look out for … Ian Mahinmi, Darius Washington.
Bakersfield Jam (Kings, Warriors)
* Brandon Bowman — Helped keep Georgetown somewhat afloat in that era between Thompsons.
* Jim Harrick (coach) — Yes, that Jim Harrick.
* Sean Rooks (asst. coach) — Yes, that Sean Rooks.
* Look out for … Darryl Watkins, Quincy Douby, Kosta Perovic.
Colorado 14ers (Nets, Nuggets, Raptors)
* Elton Brown — Can’t say I’ve ever seen him play, but he’s always on the cusp of making the League and he’s The Man in the minors.
* Brian Greene — All I remember is watching him get busy for New York’s summer league team this year and everyone in the office having no clue who this guy was.
* Look out for … Bobby Jones.
Dakota Wizards (Grizzlies, Wizards)
* Rod Benson — My man! “Too Much” is the D-League version of Arenas with his off-beat sense of humor and a blog that’s actually funny.
* Look out for … Tarence Kinsey, Andre Brown, Dominic McGuire.
Ft. Wayne Mad Ants (Pacers, Pistons)
* Earl Calloway & Roderick Wilmont — Last year’s Indiana Hoosiers backcourt reunited.
* Jaren Jackson (asst. coach) — Another former G’town player who saw some tick in the League.
* Look out for … Courtney Sims, Andre Owens, Arron Afflalo, Cheikh Samb.
Idaho Stampede (Blazers, Sonics)
* Randy Livingston — A minor-league staple who is always good for a couple 10-days with an NBA team or two during the year. Check Dime #32 (the Durant cover) for the “We Reminisce” on Randy’s stellar high school and college days.
* Brent Petway — A James White-type dunker who’s overall game is overlooked. But in Petway’s case, it’s rightfully overlooked.
* Ricky Sanchez — One of the least talked-out straight out of high school draft busts ever.
* Jamaal Tatum — Put up buckets at Southern Illinois; a long shot to ever make it to the NBA.
* Look out for … Mo Sene, Taurean Green, Josh McRoberts.
Iowa Energy (Bulls, Heat)
* Jahsha Bluntt — He put up crazy numbers at Delaware State, but no one I know can say whether he’s actually good or not.
* Jeff Horner — Of course this team couldn’t exist without a Iowa Hawkeye-bred shooter.
* Look out for … JamesOn Curry, Thomas Gardner, Aaron Gray, Alexander Johnson.
L.A. D-Fenders (Lakers)
* Sean Banks — Another University of Memphis guy who’s loaded with potential.
* Brian Chase — Anyone who knows his story (Dime #29) is pulling for him to get to the NBA.
* Errick Craven — One of USC’s Craven brothers, who went from stars to benchwarmers before they even left college.
* Jelani McCoy — He’s still around?
* Look out for … Javaris Crittenton, Coby Karl.
Rio Grande Valley Vipers (Cavs, Hornets, Rockets)
* Kevin Bookout — Always thought he would have been a hell of a football player at Oklahoma.
* Quannas White — Remember that ’02 Oklahoma Final Four team? Quannas was Hollis Price’s backcourt mate.
* Gabe Muoneke — Former Texas star is on the last legs of his career.
* Look out for … Adam Haluska, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Demetris Nichols, Steve Novak.
Sioux Falls Skyforce (Bobcats, T’wolves)
* Nik Caner-Medley — After an illustrious 8-year career at Maryland, he’s trying to make some noise in the pros.
* Carl Elliott — They called him “Big Shot Carl” at George Washington.
* Look out for … Jermareo Davidson, Chris Richard.
Tulsa 66ers (Bucks, Knicks, Mavs)
* Keith Closs — Show me someone 7-foot-2 who’s worse.
* Look out for … Nick Fazkeas, David Noel, Ramon Sessions, Randolph Morris.
Utah Flash (Celtics, Jazz)
* James Lang — Another forgotten preps-to-pros bust.
* Kevin Kruger — Shot his dad’s UNLV squad into the Sweet 16 last year.
* John Millsap — Nepotism lives beyond the summer leagues. Paul Millsap’s older brother gets on with Utah’s D-League affiliate. Oh, and John looks exactly like Paul in the face.
* Look out for … Kyrylo Fesenko, Gabe Pruitt, Brandon Wallace, Glen “Big Baby” Davis.