An apartment complex fire in Tulsa, Oklahoma, left more than 100 people without power or heat Sunday night, after electrical panels powering the complex were destroyed in the weekend blaze. Although firefighters were likely able to get the fire under control before it did more damage, the real hero in the aftermath of the tragedy was resident Michelle Dobyne, who described the harrowing incident as the fire blazed underneath the apartment she shared with her three children.
My friend came to the door — she said — I was on the phone, cooking me and my babies some breakfast. And she said, “Hey, something wrong. It’s popping!” I said “WHAT!” She said “Yeah!” I said, “Naw!” So the girl come downstairs, she come out of her apartment with her baby with no shoes on. I said, “Aw, girl, it’s cold outside.” She said, “Something ain’t right!” I said, “Aw, man!” She said, “AW MAN. THE BUILDING IS ON FIRE.” I said, “Naw, what!” I got my three kids and we bounced out, uh uh, we ain’t gonna be in no fire, NOT TODAY.
Dobyne seems pretty self-aware about the whole thing and is clearly playing things up for the cameras, but that doesn’t make her account any less great than that M&M’s shirt she’s wearing, which is frigging sweet. Hopefully Dobyne and her babies are back with heat and power soon.