One of the best new series that people should have talked about way more in 2015 has been renewed for a second season. AMC announced today that Into the Badlands will return in 2017 with 10 new episodes, putting an end to a strange few months of silence about the fates of Sunny and M.K. The show’s star, Daniel Wu, originally announced the renewal news on his Facebook page in December, but the post soon disappeared and left fans scratching their heads.
And when the Television Critics Association Press Tour rolled around in January, expectations were high that the network would be announcing the great Into the Badlands news along with the premiere dates for Fear the Walking Dead and The Night Manager, but it never happened.
Better late than never on the good news, though, because with today’s announcement came the splendid quotes from the network president and show’s creators singing a tune of steampunk love.
“With its deep dive into authentic martial arts, the visually stunning ‘Into the Badlands’ proved to be unlike anything else on television,” said Charlie Collier, president of AMC, SundanceTV and AMC Studios. “Co-creators and showrunners Al Gough and Miles Millar, along with a talented team of producers, cast and crew, brought us an artfully crafted series. We’re eager to return to the world of barons and blades and spend even more time with these compelling and evolving characters across an expanded second season.”
“We can’t imagine any other network bold enough to embrace a show like this,” said Gough and Millar. “We are incredibly grateful to Charlie, Joel and the entire AMC team for taking this leap of faith with us and we look forward to continuing the journey into the Badlands!”
Now, instead of being upset that it took forever to get the ball rolling on production for the second season, we can focus on the important questions like:
- How many asses will Sunny have to kick to escape the riverboat dude?
- Hey, what’s up with those super badass monks who showed up to lock M.K. up in the trunk all over again?
- Is M.K. ever going to find freedom and pursue a life of happiness with Tilda?
- Will Sunny and Veil also find freedom and raise their child away from the badlands?
- Is Lydia going to use her dad’s cult or whatever to get her revenge on Jade?
- Can the Widow regroup and continue her weird effort to make life safe for women again?
- Is Quinn still alive after Sunny got his revenge?
- Like, there’s no way that he’s dead just like that, right?
Because that would be kind of a lousy way for Marton Csokas to go out. But that’s enough for now, because we need to make these questions last until 2017.