If there are two things there are definitely not enough of in the television world today, they would be (a) reboots of older shows, and (b) sitcoms currently in production riding Modern Family’s “non-traditional” or “mixed” family coattails. So when I saw that Vince Vaughn was developing a reboot of The Brady Bunch for CBS, I was all “Phew. A+ work, Vince Vaughn.”
On the new next-generation Brady Bunch, written by Mike Mariano (Raising Hope, My Name Is Earl), a divorced Bobby Brady, with children of his own, is remarried to a woman who also has kids, and together they also share a child. In addition, their ex-spouses are still part of their lives. The new setup reflects the evolution of family dynamics over the past four decades. Back in 1969, Schwartz wanted Carol to be a divorcée but the network refused, so the end of her first marriage was never addressed.
I hear Vaughn came up with the idea for the new Brady Bunch and teamed with Mariano. Mariano and Lloyd Schwartz, son of the late Sherwood Schwartz, will executive produce the CBS project along with Vaughn, Victoria Vaughn and Peter Billingsley through Vince Vaughn’s Wild West Picture Show Prods. [Deadline]
I don’t really have a ton to say about this, other than the fact that Deadline’s headline “‘The Brady Bunch’ Reboot Produced By Vince Vaughn In Development At CBS” sounds more like a mad lib than an actual story, and it has led to me sitting here for an hour coming up with dumb “[Famous old show] Reboot Produced By [Celebrity] In Development At [Network]” ideas instead of analyzing this news like some sort of TV writer. Some of my favorites:
- ‘Honeymooners’ Reboot Produced By Meat Loaf In Development At FX
- ‘I Love Lucy’ Reboot Produced By Bar Rafaeli In Development At Oxygen
- ‘Magnum P.I.’ Reboot Produced By DMX In Development At Bravo
- ‘Gilligan’s Island Reboot Produced By Buzz From ‘Home Alone’ In Development At ABC
- ‘Columbo’ Reboot Produced By That One Guy From The Thing, You Know, The One With The Hat In Development At AMC
- ‘Leave It To Beaver’ Reboot Produced By Steven Seagal In Development At CMT
- ‘Dukes Of Hazzard’ Reboot Produced By Los Del Rio In Developnent At Telemundo
And so on.
Photo credit: Featureflash/Shutterstock
I want more like this!
Follow us on Facebook and get the latest before everyone else.