Since debuting a few weeks ago, Insecure has been a highlight of HBO’s Sunday night schedule. Issa Rae, who co-created the show with Larry Wilmore, stars as Issa, a Los Angeles woman considering what to do with the rest of her life as she grapples with personal and professional frustrations on the verge of turning thirty. The show wouldn’t work nearly as well, however, without the support of Yvonne Orji, who co-stars as Issa’s seemingly more with-it friend Molly, a lawyer with her own set of problems, even if they’re less evident on the outside. Born in Nigeria and a veteran of both beauty pageants and stand-up comedy, Orji is also currently developing First Gen, an autobiographical sitcom executive produced by Oprah Winfrey and David Oyelowo. We submitted out 20 questions to Orji and, predictably, ended up with some delightful answers.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
My non-alcoholic choice: Ginger beer. My just-one-drink choice: coconut rum Mojito.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter and/or Instagram?
Sarcasm_only. They post things I sometimes think, but could never say.
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR?
Atlanta, Queen Sugar, This is Us, Project Runway, Power, Survivors Remorse, Vice Principals (and six more episodes of Narcos on Netflix!). I got a lot of catching up to do!
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
Any Nigerian food my mom or dad are making (he’s a pretty solid cook too), sautéed jumbo garlic shrimp, chicken lasagna from Bossa Nova, plantains, King Crabs, & suya (Nigerian kabob). Oh and a Dr. Pepper mixed with Vanilla Coke (No. I’m not pregnant)!
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
Google.com it gets me to everywhere else I want to go.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your mobile device?
The Drake station on the iHeart music app.
7. If you could go back and give your 18-year-old self one piece of advice what would it be?
Stop procrastinating. College will be a lot more fun when you learn to prioritize what’s most important.
8. What’s the last thing you Googled?
“Alicia keys cornrow styles.” Going on vacation and needed inspiration.
9. Dogs or cats?
Neither. BUUT if I HAD to choose, dogs.
10. Best concert of your life was…?
I’ll go with most nostalgic concert: Saw DMX in 2014 for my birthday. Definitely not how I remembered him from 1998, but you know what… I got a happy birthday shout out and a bark. #BirthdayMade
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
Luvvie’s I’m Judging You!
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
My love language is “acts of service.” So if you pick me up from the airport or Postmates me dinner when I’m under the weather, we go together!
13. South Park or Family Guy?
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
A 24-hour deep tissue massage in my over-water bungalow in Bora Bora, while watching all the shows in my DVR cue and taking power naps between sessions. There would be occasional breaks to eat something exotic.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
Love & Basketball.
16. The sports team or teams you’re most passionate about?
The Williams sisters. They count as a team right?!
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
Well, I still got a lotta livin’ to do. I’ll let you know after I travel the world.
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
Don’t Think Twice. Really good movie about the intricacies of finally “making it,” and how relationships are affected.
19. Who was your first celebrity crush? A
Are they going to read this? If so you shall remain nameless Michael Ealy. Oh no, I messed that up.
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage was coming to your house for dinner?
Can Nic Cage somehow transform into Michael Ealy… orrr nah?