Is it us or do a lot of Lana Del Rey songs remind you of drinking? Sure, she ruined Pepsi with the idea that it tastes like her vagina, but other songs serve as great inspirations for cocktails that might just be perfect now that the weather is warming up. Even her new song (as heard in The Great Gatsby trailer) prompted a cocktail idea or two. If you ever wanted to throw a LDR-themed party, now’s the time to do it!
1. Grown-Up Cherry Cola
Inspiration: My p*ssy tastes like Pepsi Cola / My eyes are wide like cherry pies (“Cola”)
Recipe courtesy of Savvy Eat:
- Approximately 2 cups cola
- 1 ounce amaretto
- 2 ounces plain or spiced rum
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Pour some of the cola into an ice cube tray and place in the freezer until hard.
- Place two to three cola ice cubes in the bottom of a tumbler.
- Add the amaretto and rum, then top off with cola.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
2. Blue Velvet Martini
Inspiration: Shoe wore blue velvet / Bluer than velvet was the night (“Blue Velvet”)
Recipe courtesy of Beckabella Style Inspirations:
- 1 1/2 oz. vodka
- 1/4 oz. blue curacao
- Rose’s lime juice
- Stir with cracked ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon.
3. Beer Cocktail (aka The Cure)
Inspiration: Open up a beer / And you say, Get over here (“Video Games”)
Recipe courtesy of Epicurious:
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
- 10 tablespoons (5 ounces) light lager, such as Miller High Life
- 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh lemon juice
- 5 (1-inch) pieces peeled fresh ginger cut into thin matchsticks
- Fill 12-ounce cooler (or highball) glass with ice cubes.
- Add ginger liqueur, beer, and lemon juice and stir until combined.
- Garnish with ginger sticks.
Inspiration: Diet mountain dew, baby, New York City (“Diet Mountain Dew”)
Recipe courtesy of Bartender App:
- 2 shots Vodka
- Mountain Dew
- Fill Big Gulp with ice add Vodka and Mountain Dew.
5. Cognac and Vodka
Inspiration: Glass film, perfume, cognac, lilac (“Off To The Races”)
Recipe courtesy of Saveur:
- 1½ oz. dry vermouth, such as Noilly Prat
- 1 oz. cognac, such as Ferrand Ambre, Rémy Martin VSOP, or Hennessy Black
- 1 oz. vodka, such as Stolichnaya
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Twist of lemon peel
- In a cocktail shaker filled with cracked ice, stir together vermouth, cognac, vodka, and bitters with a bar spoon until chilled, about 15 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass
- Garnish with lemon twist.
6. Cinnamon Toast Cocktail
Inspiration: Now my life is sweet like cinnamon / Like a fucking dream I’m living in (“Radio”)
Recipe courtesy of The Slow Roasted Italian:
- 12 ounces Apple Cider, warmed
- 3 ounces Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, to garnish
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar on a plate that the rim of your glass will fit on.
- Wet the rim of your glass with the cider or rum.
- Spin the rim of your glass in the cinnamon sugar.
7. Jim Morrison
Inspiration: No one’s gonna take my soul away / I’m living like Jim Morrison (“Gods & Monsters”)
Recipe courtesy of Bar None Drinks:
- 1 oz. Jagermeister
- 1 oz. Root Beer Schnapps
- Mix the Jagermeister and Root Beer Schnapps over ice in an old fashioned glass.
- Top up with Coca Cola.
8. Atomic Champagne Cocktail
Inspiration: I don’t pop my cork for every man I see (“Big Spender”)
Recipe courtesy of Esquire:
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1 1/2 ounces brandy
- 1 teaspoon sherry
- 1 1/2 ounces Brut champagne
- Stir the vodka, brandy, and sherry well with cracked ice, then strain into a chilled cocktail glass and add 1 1/2 to 2 ounces cold brut champagne.
9. Whiskey Fruit Punch
Inspiration: Could be kissing my fruit punch lips in the bright sunshine (“Lolita”)
Recipe courtesy of About.com:
- 2 parts Red Stag by Jim Beam™ Bourbon
- 1 part Strawberry Liqueur
- 0.5 part Passion Fruit Coulis or 1 part Passion Fruit Juice
- Pour all but champagne into a punch bowl with large balls of ice have champagne on ice beside punch bowl.
- To serve, ladle mixture into champagne flutes and top with champagne.
- Garnish with a strawberry or lemon twist on the rim.
10. Soul Kiss
Inspiration: When I’ve got nothing but my aching soul? (“Young And Beautiful”)
Recipe courtesy of About.com:
- 1 1/2 oz whiskey
- 1 oz dry vermouth
- 3/4 oz orange juice
- 3/4 oz Dubonnet
- Stir all the ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.