Marvel’s next superhero epic Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings hits theaters tonight and along with it, Marvel Music and Interscope Records are also releasing its soundtrack, Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings: The Album. Similarly to what Marvel did with the release of Black Panther a couple of years ago, the entertainment giant has tapped the Los Angeles-based label 88rising to executive produce the soundtrack, bringing in the label’s roster of Asian and Asian-American talent to contribute music from and inspired by the film. The LA-based label has provided a home for Asian and Asian-American artists for the past five years, so it’s a move that makes plenty of sense for Marvel’s first major Asian superhero to hit the big screen.
88rising executive produced the project in collaboration with Shang-Chi director Destin Daniel Cretton, making use of the film’s Bay Area setting to craft a vibe fitting for the film’s narrative and to tap into the cultural experiences of Asian-American viewers. In the press release, Cretton said, “The music on this album is the beating heart of our film. As we were editing Shang-Chi, we were constantly inspired by the early recordings coming in from these incredible musicians. When I first spoke to Sean about the idea for this album, we knew we wanted it to stand alone as a piece of work, but also be wrapped in the themes of our movie… themes of family, legacy, pain and healing. We also just wanted to make a really great album that gives us all another reason to celebrate. I couldn’t be more excited to share this music and these artists with the world.”
Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings: The Album is out tonight at midnight. See the tracklist below.
1. “Always Rising” – NIKI, Rich Brian, Warren Hue
2. “Diamond + And Pearls” – DPR LIVE, DPR IAN, peace.
3. “In The Dark” – Swae Lee, Jhené Aiko
4. “Lazy Susan” – 21 Savage, Rich Brian, Masiwei, Warren Hue
5. “Nomad” – Zion.T, Gen Hoshino
6. “Fire In The Sky” – Anderson .Paak
7. “Lose Control” – JJ Lin
8. “Every Summertime” – NIKI
9. “Never Gonna Come Down” – Mark Tuan, BIBI
10. “Foolish” – Rich Brian, Warren Hue, Guapdad 4000
11. “Clocked Out!” – Audrey Nuna, NIKI
12. “Act Up” – Rich Brian, Earthgang
13. “Baba Says” – Various Artists
14. “Run It” – DJ Snake, Rick Ross, Rich Brian
15. “Swan Song” – Saweetie, NIKI
16. “War With Heaven” – keshi
17. “Hot Soup” – 88rising, Simu Liu
18. “Warriors” – Warren Hue, Seori
Some artists covered here are Warner Music artists. Uproxx is an independent subsidiary of Warner Music Group.