The 2016 Emmy Awards red carpet was nowhere near as hot as last year’s Los Angeles ceremony, but that didn’t stop the stars from sweating past the press and into the Microsoft Theater. Maybe they thought the air conditioning would protect them from the heat. But with host Jimmy Kimmel‘s short opening monologue, the otherwise friendly gathering at least had a little more discomfort, especially since the comedian’s opening bit, which featured former Republican presidential candidate-turned-limo driver Jeb Bush, quickly segued to Donald Trump and other politicized topics.
Even so, the Jimmy Kimmel Live! host couldn’t pass up the opportunity to make fun of the Emmys telecast’s penchant for going over time by finding and giving Transparent actor Jeffrey Tambor his statuette in advance. Other notable gags included:
- Asking everyone whose shows don’t contain “a dragon or a white Bronco” to “go home now.” Why? Because let’s face it, Game of Thrones and The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story will win all the things.
- “Everyone in L.A. knows that if you want to win,” Kimmel joked about Sarah Paulson’s plus one, “sit next to Marcia Clark.” It worked out for the actual O.J. Simpson trial, no?
- The comedian made a point of suggesting the whole American Crime Story cast should thank the real O.J. for their being there. Awkward, but not wrong.
- “This year’s nominees are the most diverse ever, and here in Hollywood, the only thing we value more than diversity is congratulating ourselves on how much we value diversity.” Ouch, Kimmel.
- “Are we ready to make the Emmys great again?” Considering this will likely be one of countless reference to Trump, probably not.
Sure Kimmel tried to speed things for everyone in Los Angeles and at home, but let’s be honest. This is going to be one long, fiery night of television about television. Good luck!