Viral

A ‘The Voice’ Contestant Has Recovered From A Spider Bite That Literally Left A Hole In Her Face

This picture of country singer Meghan Linsey, runner up on NBC’s The Voice in 2015, was taken two weeks ago. As you can see, Linsey has a noticeable scar under her left eye, but all thing considered she’s a very lucky lady. Back in February Linsey awoke one morning with a stinging sensation on her face, and looked down to find a dead spider in her hand. Unfortunately, the spider turned out to be a brown recluse — one of the two most deadly species of spider found in the United States (next to the Black Widow) — the venom of which can cause horrific damage to the human body even when treated.

Thankfully Linsey had the sense to rush to urgent care, bringing the dead spider along with her, where she was given with antibiotics and saline. But that was only the beginning of her ordeal, which she explained in an interview with People this week.

“The swelling was the first thing, and then I ended up just having crazy, crazy symptoms,” Linsey tells PEOPLE. “I had muscle spasms, then I had a body rash all over. They tell people to not look up things on WebMD, and I had looked up everything on WebMD and I had every symptom. Every day was another thing.”

“I was supposed to be getting better, but I was getting worse – up until day nine, which is when the symptoms stopped happening and the necrosis started on my face,” she explains.

Things were about to get a lot worse before they got better. Linsey documented her progress for the next several weeks on Instagram, and as a warning, some of the images below are not for the faint of heart.

View this post on Instagram

I know I've been MIA on social media for a while, so I wanted to fill you all in on what's going on. These pics are hard to share, but I think it's important for me to be open with you guys. Everything isn't perfect all of the time. We all go through hard stuff. So, 9 days ago, on February 12, I woke up to a stinging sensation on my face. I looked and in my right hand was a dead spider. Somehow while I was sleeping, a spider had bit me and I had killed it. This scenario is literally on the top of my nightmare list. The stinging was awful and I knew it had to be poisonous. I put the spider in a bag and headed to urgent care. Over the course of the last 9 days, I have experienced the most insane symptoms. From excruciating nerve pain in my face, muscle spasms, full body rash, extreme swelling… etc. It has really been rough. It has been confirmed that I was bit by a brown recluse spider, one of two of the most poisonous spiders in the US. I am still dealing with the wound on my face, but I finally found the right meds to control the nerve pain. I know I'm not out of the woods on this yet, but I am so incredibly grateful for my health and I will never take it for granted again. Your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated. I will be getting back in the studio this week, to work on the new record! I can't wait to finish it. And I can't wait to get back on the road on March 9 & 10- I will be playing in Alaska! And PLEASE, if you live in area where these spiders are, do some research and learn how to protect yourself! I know this is not common at all, but better safe than sorry! Love you all! Xo Meg

A post shared by Meghan Linsey (@meghanlinsey) on

Linsey attributed her amazingly quick recovery to hyperbaric chamber treatments, a special wound healing gel dressing called Stratamed that can be used under makeup (since she still regularly performs), and the dang wonder of the human body’s ability to heal itself. She admits that her makeup routine is a lot more involved than it used to be, but is overall just happy to be alive after everything she went through.

All in all, she hopes that her ordeal will help raise awareness about the brown recluse spider (and why you do not mess with them), as she says, “It’s not talked about a lot and I have a way to get the word out.”

(Via People)

Around The Web

×