John Prine is widely hailed by many as one of the greatest singer-songwriters of his generation. Though he’s remained prolific in the 21st Century, it’s been a while since we’ve gotten a full album of his own original material. Now, after a 13-year long gap since the last time he put out such a record, Prine has picked up his pen and guitar once again and is set to release a new project titled The Tree Of Forgiveness this Spring.
Even more enticing, Prine has pulled in some serious firepower to help him with this latest project, names like Black Keys frontman Dan Auerbach who co-wrote a song titled “Boundless Love,” as well as Jason Isbell and his wife Amanda Shires who contributed some guitar and fiddle parts to a number of different songs respectably.
To help whet some people’s appetite for The Tree Of Forgiveness, today Prine shared a brand new song. Titled “Summer’s End,” it’s a plaintive track filled out by a minor-key guitar melody, some gently brushed snare percussion, and a very subtle string arrangement.
The Tree Of Forgiveness is set to drop on April 13th. You can check out a full tracklist, along with songwriting credits below.
1. “Knockin’ On Your Screen Door” (by John Prine and Pat McLaughlin)
2. “I Have Met My Love Today” ft. Brandi Carlile (by John Prine and Roger Cook)
3. “Egg & Daughter Nite, Lincoln Nebraska, 1967 (Crazy Bone)” (by John Prine and Pat McLaughlin)
4. “Summer’s End” (written by John Prine and Pat McLaughlin)
5. “Caravan of Fools” (by John Prine, Dan Auerbach, and Pat McLaughlin)
6. “The Lonesome Friends of Science” (by John Prine)
7. “No Ordinary Blue” (by John Prine and Keith Sykes)
8. “Boundless Love” (by John Prine, Dan Auerbach, and Pat McLaughlin)
9. “God Only Knows” (by John Prine and Phil Spector)
10. “When I Get to Heaven” (by John Prine)