Space Kelly’s debut EP Two Parties is made for blasting in your car on a sunny afternoon drive. Over bold drums and melodic guitars, the Los Angeles singer-songwriter (real name Erika Paget) crafts optimistic indie pop with a punky, compulsively listen-able edge. Paget is a humorous, observant songwriter — “a passionate song about apathy” sounds like an oxymoron, but that’s exactly what her song “Chiller” is. Paget’s songs swerve into unexpected directions, ripping riffs switching into melancholy instrumental breaks and back again. Her adventurous songwriting makes Two Parties a thrilling listen, and an excellent debut.
You can glean a lot about Paget and her writing sensibilities just listening to Two Parties, but the up-and-comer took some time from her busy schedule to participate in our 20 questions series. Get to know her now, because you’ll be hearing her everywhere soon enough.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
Depends on the bar but almost always a spicy margarita.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter and/or Instagram?
Her Twitter handle is @moongrudge and I’m not even sure when we started following each other because she lives in New York, but she’s my exact kind of weird humor and always makes me laugh. This isn’t a person but… the MLB Instagram is very funny. Whoever does their social is someone I would definitely hang out with.
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR or in your streaming queue?
The third season of Love Island! I have to go through each season very slowly — if I watch more than two episodes a day I start talking like a 20-year-old girl from Essex, lich’rally babe.
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
Spicy tuna roll, avocado roll, salmon skin roll, seaweed salad and miso soup from Kombu. Hands down.
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
I read my horoscope every day on Broadly but my day job involves reading content for hours on end so I try to stay offline when I’m not working. I have the longest doc of links to pieces I want to read. One day.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your mobile device?
Currently, it’s “Earrings” by Omni.
7. If you could go back and give your 18-year-old self one piece of advice, what would it be?
Do not buy all those clothes you can’t afford with your credit card.
8. What’s the last thing you Googled?
1980s graphic art for visual inspiration.
9. Dogs or cats?
Dogs all the way.
10. Best concert of your life was…?
Van Halen with David Lee Roth at the Hollywood Bowl. We were easily the youngest people there. We got the tickets for $20 on Groupon and wow, it was such a nonstop party. Also Eddie Van Halen solo’d for 15 straight minutes and it changed my life.
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
I was really broke and working a super low-paying job right before my 27th birthday and I’d found the perfect dress to wear to the bar for my party but it was just out of my price range. I texted it to my friend, lamenting, and without saying anything she Venmo’d me the difference. I still have that dress and it’s still perfect and I’m still so thankful.
13. South Park or Family Guy?
South Park because it’s the chaotic good in this choice.
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
Mostly nothing. Being on the couch with access to a good lunch and some cool movies sounds great. Otherwise, I’d be going on a bike ride, and then doing a crossword puzzle on a bar patio with a nice glass of wine.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
I’ve seen Not Another Teen Movie so many times and yet, censored and edited and all, I always go back for more.
16. The sports team or teams you’re most passionate about?
Dodgers, baby! I’m also a big fan of the Clippers but go hard for the Bulls because of my family.
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
Little Dom’s. It was an incredible pasta dish from their fixed price Monday night menu a few years ago followed up by a sorbet flight. That’s a thing!
18. The last movie you saw in a theatre?
Us. Still haven’t fully figured that movie out.
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
Probably Eric from Boy Meets World. His hair was so shiny and he looked like he always just came from playing basketball and wanted a Coke.
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage were coming to your house for dinner?
I don’t eat red meat but I feel like I would have to make him a burger? I feel like Nic Cage just wants cookout food — a good burger, potato salad, asparagus, and a High Life.
Stream Two Parties below.