Kate Lambert is a star of TV Land’s ensemble comedy Teachers (now in its second season) in which six elementary school teachers attempt to navigate the school day and their private lives. She’s also a writer and executive producer of the show, which she co-created with her co-stars, all members of improv group The Katydids. Teachers is currently breaking ratings records for its network, proving that sharp, relatable comedy is always in demand. Lambert took the time to participate in our questionnaire series, revealing a deep love of HGTV, vegetarian burritos, and Nora Ephron.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
A pinot noir. And if it’s a bar that primarily serves beer, it’s always terrible.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter and/or Instagram?
I love following Chrissy Teigen. She’s absolutely hilarious and has the cutest baby.
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR?
Law & Order SVU and a bunch of HGTV shows.
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
My mom makes this spaghetti with a homemade sauce that has carrots and green peppers in it. It’s amazing. It would be good to go out with that one.
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
One Kings Lane. I’m really into interior design and they have lots of good deals and ideas for things to do around your home. I also love Sephora– I’m a total makeup junkie.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your mobile device?
I am obsessed with the Sara Bareilles song “She Used to be Mine.” The most played song of all time on my iPod is definitely Kate Bush’s “This Woman’s Work.”
7. If you could go back and give your 18-year-old self one piece of advice what would it be?
I think I’d tell her she has about one more year before those foam wedges go out of style, to always choose the apartment with parking, and not to be so hard on herself.
8. What’s the last thing you Googled?
Kyle Chandler. I can’t get enough of Coach Taylor.
9. Dogs or cats?
Oh, I can’t choose! I love dogs. I pet every dog I see. And I have an almost 15-year-old cat named Piccadilly. He wears bowties and is my favorite thing.
10. Best concert of your life was…?
I recently went to an Ingrid Michaelson concert. Not only did she sound amazing, but she is really funny. She was also kind enough to invite me to the party afterwards where I got to meet her and she was just so lovely. It’s always nice to meet someone whose music has meant so much to you and who does not disappoint in person.
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
Something by David Sedaris. I love him. When I’m reading his books, I actually laugh out loud.
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
When I was running the Chicago Marathon, I started having a really tough time about halfway through and wasn’t sure if I’d be able to finish. My dad, who was watching on the sidelines, didn’t want me to give up and crossed the line from spectator to participant and ran the rest of the race alongside me with no training while wearing a button-down shirt, khaki pants, and tennis shoes as old as a teenager.
13. South Park or Family Guy?
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
I gotta go to Disneyland. It never gets old. Or go to the stables where I take horseback riding lessons and go for a ride.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
When Harry Met Sally. I think it’s one of the funniest and most well-written movies of all time. Nora Ephron is a hero of mine and the movie is brilliant. I did the opening car scene for speech team when I was a freshman in high school and the audience’s jaws were on the floor watching a 14-year-old say those lines. It was hilarious.
16. The sports team or teams you’re most passionate about?
I am not a huge sports fan, but my dad went to Notre Dame so I always root for them. And I lived in Chicago for such a long time, so I always root for their teams.
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
Charlie Trotter’s in Chicago. Everything they brought out was so beautiful and tasted incredible.
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
Live by Night.
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
Christian Slater and Michael Schoeffling (Jake Ryan for life).
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage was coming to your house for dinner?
I’d have to learn how to cook first. Everything I do is primarily with a microwave and the one meal I can do is vegetarian burritos. I hope he likes whole wheat tortillas.
Teachers airs on Tuesdays at 10 pm EST on TV Land.