Movies

Paul Feig Is Not Pleased About That Deleted ‘Ghostbusters’ Tweet

Getty Image

Earlier in the week, the official Ghostbusters twitter account apparently deleted a tweet featuring an #ImWithHer hashtag — typically connected to Hillary Clinton’s campaign — adding fuel to the fire that the film was anti-male or carried some sort of agenda with it. Sony released a statement on the deletion, backing away from any political ties in the tweet:

“The tweet was never intended to be a political endorsement,” a spokeswoman for Sony told TheWrap. “It was a shout-out to our own glass ceiling-busters,” referring to stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones.

The interesting part is that all of this was news to Paul Feig, who spoke to The Wrap after the news hit on Friday and shared his displeasure with the decision:

“This is the first I’m hearing about this but I guarantee that none of us — producers or filmmakers — would have taken this tweet down,” Feig told TheWrap Friday after learning about the studio’s decision to remove the tweet on Wednesday, one day after it was posted to outcry from some conservatives.

“We are pro-woman and all about smashing the glass ceiling and we support the message of this deleted tweet,” the director said. “And I personally am very much pro-Hillary.”

So despite the concerns of the studio, it would seem the creative minds behind the film are not afraid to stand by the tweet in question — which is weird to say considering we’re talking about Ghostbusters in 2016. It shouldn’t be an issue, but it is and it continues.

(Via The Wrap)

×