Earlier this week, Bruce Willis announced that he was leaving the ensemble cast of Woody Allen’s new film due to a conflict with his upcoming appearance in the Broadway adaption of Stephen King’s Misery. Today, the day has been saved (or at least the production schedule of the film has been saved), as Steve Carell has agreed to step into the role. Deadline explains:
He now joins a cast that includes Blake Lively, Parker Posey, Kristen Stewart, Jesse Eisenberg, Jeannie Berlin, Corey Stoll, Ken Stott, Anna Camp, Stephen Kunken, Sari Lennick and Paul Schneider. The swap-out keeps the production on schedule for the pic, which as usual is being kept under wraps. It shoots this month in New York and Los Angeles.
Fine, great, wonderful. Steve Carell is a gifted actor who will probably perform well in whatever role this particular situation calls for.
But the real story here, in this reporter’s opinion, is that the “Steve Carell Replaces Bruce Willis in Woody Allen Movie” part of this reads like the result of some sort of Hollywood Mad Libs. Like, “[Comedic actor] Replaces [Action Star] in [Famous director] Movie.” So let’s do that. I opened it up to the Uproxx chat room a few minutes ago, and this is what we came up with so far:
– Danny Mcbride Replaces Vin Diesel in Martin Scorsese movie
– Will Ferrell Replaces Tom Hardy In Alejandro González Iñárritu Movie
– Jesse Eisenberg Replaces Jason Statham in Kurosawa Movie
– Michael Cera Replaces Jean Claude Van Damme in Quentin Tarantino movie.
– Rob Schneider Replaces Christian Bale in Christopher Nolan Movie
– David Spade Replaces Sylvester Stallone in Wes Anderson Movie
– Adam Sandler Replaces Daniel Day Lewis in Luc Besson Movie
– Josh Gad Replaces Jackie Chan in Paul Thomas Anderson Movie
– Tim Allen Replaces Denzel Washington in Spike Lee Movie
– Gilbert Gottfried Replaces Clint Eastwood in Clint Eastwood Movie
– Kevin James Replaces The Rock in Michael Bay Movie
– Katt Williams Replaces Liam Neeson in Werner Herzog Movie
That was fun. I would watch THE HELL out of the last one. Yours below.