Conor McGregor has finally released a statement, his first since making a post on his Twitter page declaring his retirement on Tuesday. Since then, the UFC had removed him from his UFC 200 fight with Nate Diaz and UFC president Dana White went on a mini-television tour explaining what happened. In his words, Conor McGregor refused to come to Las Vegas to promote his fight. Now Conor is getting his word in:
Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a f*ck morning show did not get me this life.
Talking to some lady that deep down doesn’t give a f*ck about what I’m doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I’m cool with that too, I’ve been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.
I’m coming for my revenge here.
I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.
But it was denied.
There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me.
So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them.
And all with one tweet.
Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good.
I must isolate myself now.
And most interesting of all:
I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.
If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don’t know what to say.
For the record also –
For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations –
I AM NOT RETIRED.
So now we wait to see what the UFC says – if they’re willing to work with Conor and allow him to stay on the UFC 200 card if he shows up in New York.
On Wednesday’s UFC Tonight, Dana White made it sound like the fight between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz was already too far gone. They may have already replaced McGregor and now want to make a point that no individual fighter is bigger than the UFC. But wouldn’t that be a shame.