They say “Everything’s bigger in Texas,” right? Well, the State Fair of Texas just released their 2017 food finalists lists and it’s definitely bigger, greasier, sweeter and even more deep-fried than ever. On Sept. 29, fairgoers can enjoy classics like corny dogs and turkey legs, but there are some new, out-of-this-world, pretty-much-insane, “what were they thinking?”-type foods, too.
Let’s start with the deep fried foods:
Deep Fried Froot Loops®
Basically a fried cereal burrito with whipped marshmallow on the inside and a glaze sauce with powdered sugar to top it off. Sounds just about perfect… but is it sweet enough?
Deep Fried Chicken Noodle Soup on a Stick
The next time you’re under the weather, take the non-traditional route and get your dose of chicken noodle soup fried and on a stick. Sadly, there’s no guarantee that it’ll actually make you feel any better.
Three deep fried cream puffs stacked on a skewer, sprinkled with powdered sugar and a chocolate and caramel sauce. Definitely getting New Orleans vibes. Also… diabetes vibes.
Fernie’s Fried Texas Sheet Cake
This is not your traditional brownie. It’s fried and mixed with ground cocoa puffs, panko and cinnamon sugar. Then it’s glazed with an icing made by Dr. Pepper® and is topped with Texas pecans, whipped cream and a strawberry for a pop of color.
Funnel Cake Bacon Queso Burger
A burger patty with bacon and queso is wedged between two crunchy funnel cakes aka the buns? Genius! Why did we never think of this?
Gulf Coast Fish Bowl
Ever wanted to drink in an aquarium? Well now is basically your chance. A special blue alcoholic drink with Swedish Fish swimming through, a pineapple as the lid and Nerds on the rim as the “on the rocks.”
Pinot Noir Popcorn
Santa Monica Kettle Corn mixed with cheddar cheeses and a Pinot Noir burgundy wine powder all in one bite. Some of the wine flavor with none of the wine sophistication!
Surfin’ Turfin’ Tator Boat
Juicy lemon butter lobster meat, grilled steak, and a blend of cheeses all stacked into a baked potato, with melted butter running down the side.
Texas Fajita Fries
Deep fried fajita strips doused with a sriracha space overflowing in a breaded cone. Sitting on top of “Texas toothpicks” (fried onions and jalapenos) drizzled with pico de gallo and a spicy sour cream hot sauce.
The Tamale Donut
This donut is stuffed with slow-cooked pork, mixed with masa (corn flour) and fried until it’s the perfect “crispy on the outside soft on the inside” combination. Topped off with a trickle of jalapeno salsa.
Check out the rest of the new foods on the list, then make a plan to see them in person!
- Fried Mango Loco — Fruteria Cano
- Jalapeno Popcorn — Pioneer Kettle Korn
- Pineapple Float — Pineapple Man
- Chicken Fried Spam Fries — Stiffler’s Sweet Spot
- Caramel Sea Salt Beer — Stiffler’s Sweet Spot
- Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Slovacek’s Garlic Pepper Jack Sausage on a Stick — Darn Good Corn
- Crabmeat Jalapeno Poppers — Villa’s Seafood Village
- Veggie Hot Dog — Lone Star Pizza
- Spicy Garlic Fries — Stuffed Wings
- Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Mozzarella Cheese — near Old Mill Inn restaurant
- Shrimp Po’boy with Sriracha Cilantro Aioli — by Old Mill Inn restaurant
- Fried Cheesecake Stuffed Apple Sundae — Ms. Ruth’s
- Dreamy Drunken Sopapilla Cheesecake Bar — Chef Cassy’s Creations
- Crawfish Lollipop — Benavides Nachos
- Fried Arroz con Pollo — Rancho Norteno
- Oreo Beer — Barrera’s
- Tipsy Topsy Catfish on a Stick — Chef Cassy’s Creations
- Cajun Fried Devil Eggs — Larry’s Bar & Grill
- Deep Fried Root Beer Float with Dragon’s Breath — Scrumbscious Pie Company
- Beer Battered Beef Jerky — Crazy Otto’s